Monday, September 29, 2008

highs and lows

aside from the craptacular fact that my school laptop crashed on friday, i had a really good weekend. erik and i had a lot of fun on saturday, and we went out to get his very first potty. since everyone i asked seems passionate about either the little potty or the little seat that fits over a regular potty, i decided to get both since neither was too expensive. on saturday night i set up the little potty (it even plays music when you tinkle in it!), and erik peed on it the very first time! i was so proud of him! it's amazing how excited you can get over a little person peeing on a potty. our sunday was very nice too. i got erik up and fed him breakfast while peter slept in a little, then i went down to the lab for awhile to take care of some things. we met my parents, brother, and his family for lunch at red, hot, and blue to celebrate my birthday. the food was so-so (used to be MUCH better!) but we all had a really nice time. i really love spending time with my family, and have really been missing my brother, sister-in-law, and nieces since i last saw them when we went to OC.

i'm still utterly dismayed over the fact that my laptop (along with almost a year's worth of data and presentations) is now completely useless. the only answer dell's 'award winning' tech support could give me is to take the thing to the geek squad to try and recover my files before reinstalling windows, which i am absolutely not going to do. besides having an inherent mistrust for people who travel around in black and white vw beetles, i think that the geek squad is nothing but a way for best buy to extract as much money as possible from people at their weakest (ie when their computers aren't functioning) while installing unnecessary (and expensive) updates on their computer and causing irreparable damage to it in the process. just ask my mom! being a student has its advantages, and one of them is free access to the computer experts at the university. so i have an appointment to have one of them attempt to extract my data tomorrow afternoon. i hope they're successful, because if not, i am calling the whole thing a complete loss and reformatting the hard drive. craptacular!!!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

1. So sorry to hear about your crashed computer. Seriously - that is the WORSTEST thing ever - and I don't say that lightly. I remember your mom telling me about the CRAPPY tech service from Geek Squad - and because of that - I will never trust them either. But I do think their cars are cool looking.
2. I am jealous that Erik is peeing in a potty. Max hardly ever does and he is 4. Tonight when we were all out a dinner Max suddenly decided HE wanted to be cool like Michael and Kyle and go pee. He actually DID! It was a miracle. Maybe some Laemmle skills will rub off on him...
3. I hope your Bday was great. Good luck with school, sick kid, etc. Hopefully you can get something out of your computer!

I'm sending off a huge bag of clothes with your mom - hope Erik enjoys them!